Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. -- Carl Sandburg
There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- goddammit, you've got to be kind. -- Kurt Vonnegut

March 25, 2011

Making the dinette seat comfortable

The curvature of the van wall makes for a rather uncomfortable back rest. LTV supplied a 3 foot cushion that doubles as the bed in the center but it doesn't give good back support at a comfortable angle.  Item 4 in my list.

Dye pot for pillow covers
  • I found a 2'x2' wedge pillow at Bed,Bath & Beyond that solves the back rest problem very nicely and a nice square sham in a color to match my van seats.  The only problem is the sham doesn't really fit the pillow.  I can slip the thin top edge in but the bottom just hangs.
  • Bed,Bath & Beyond also sells a white cotton fitted cover for the wedge pillow so I picked up it up to have another cover.  
  • I wasn't very happy with having the white bottom side showing so I got some forest green fabric dye and dyed both of the covers.  By diluting the dye by 3 times the recommended amount, I got a color close to the moss green seats in the van.  The zipper is very white, but it looks a lot better to have the pillow match the rest of the van.  I used a green sharpie to color the white zipper on the side where it is visible. The bottom being visible might be a moot point after I put in the bed boxes.  
  • Dying took all afternoon, mostly spent in rinsing it.  Then it took about 4 times in the washer to get it all rinsed and washed.  The color was significantly lighter than when it went into the washer but that made it a better match for the van colors.
  • Finished back rest pillow
  • The 2 foot wide seat is pretty comfortable now and once the bed box is in, it will also give me a nice arm rest.  I should be able to put my feet up on the opposite bench which will have a low table top on it.
I purchased a Lagun table mount to replace the dinette table and center post mount with something more space efficient and flexible.  I have it mounted opposite the dinette seat.  Item 3 in my list.
Lagun table mount

The top swings easily 360 degrees or in my case 240 degrees making it very easy to move in place and out of the way when I get up.  It is also easily moved up or down for different heights.

An actual table gets screwed into the top piece.  The table mount easily disassembles into 3 pieces and the vertical post can be slid into the table top for moving and storage.  The making of the table top will be in a future post.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Thanks for giving us your thoughts.