Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. -- Carl Sandburg
There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- goddammit, you've got to be kind. -- Kurt Vonnegut

May 24, 2011

Wires and Water

I got an email from Randy at Bestconverters.com today.  He recommends these to solve my problems:
http://www.bestconverter.com/Trimetric-2025-RV_p_314.html
http://www.bestconverter.com/Prowatt-SW1000-Sine-Wave-Inverter_p_374.html
http://www.bestconverter.com/55-Amp-Converter-Replacement-Kit_p_47.html


I'm going to add a trickle charger for my van engine battery too so it will charge automatically  when I have shore power:  http://www.bestconverter.com/Galaxy-Trik-L-Start_p_275.html



The replacement converter/charger is a 3 stage and includes a new fuse panel with 6 AWG battery  wires.  Looks like I will be getting replacement wires too since the ones I have are 8 AWG.  I ran the water pump today and the positive post on the fuse panel got really hot.  It is time for replacement.


And I just found out the clutch needs to be replaced on my car.  Money is flying out this month.  Oh well, if it gets it fixed, it will be worth it.


I started the procedure to sanitize my water system and fill the tank with fresh water.  That sure turned out be a lot harder than it should have been.  The problem was in getting the chlorine solution (1/2 cup in 1 gallon water for my 30 gallons of fresh water and water heater) into the tank with no water pressure.  I tried a water thief with a funnel on a hose and used a screw on connection but the solution just poured out.  I finally disconnected the water hose and took off the screen to find a gizmo that keeps the water  line closed unless under pressure.  Maybe it is a backflow preventer.


So off to the 'net and I found a suggestion to pour the solution into the water hose, then run the city water into the tank.  I screwed the funnel fitting to the hose, put cutoff fittings on both ends and messed about until I remembered that the air needs to be displaced from the hose (duh!).  So I propped the end up higher than the funnel end and opened the cutoff valve and the solution poured in.  I added another 1/4 cup of straight bleach because I had lost so much of the solution.    I then connected the end to the water spigot and the other end to the intake on the van and filled the tank.  Then opened up the van spigots.  I'm leaving it sit overnight, then I'll do the tedious process of draining and flushing out the chlorine water.  But now the cold water barely comes out of the kitchen faucet!  All the other ones are fine after they spit out the air.  Another problem to chase down - arrggh!


And thanks to a comment, I discovered that RV'ly Ever After has my blog on her list but it isn't updating like it is supposed to.  I have no idea why it isn't and no idea what to do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Thanks for giving us your thoughts.