|B15 base LED installed in porch light|
Aluminum cookie bent to send beam down
|Porch light with LED lit|
|G4 prong LED bulb inseted into halogen puck light|
|Puck light with LED|
The halogen puck lights were easy to replace as well. It took a little maneuvering to get the prongs into the fixture but it worked fine in all but one fixture. That one also had the halogen bulb come loose so the prong holder thingamajig is probably near shot. I got it in and they work well. When I opened the light over the sink, the aluminum backer fell out. It was rough with oxidation so I sanded it with 600 grit wet sandpaper which smoothed it up. A thin coat of dielectric grease on it should keep that from happening again.
All the LEDs are the warm white type with the yellow lights. The beam isn't quite as broad as on the old lights but it is fine. The light is a bit whiter than old bulbs but not blue like some LEDs. With just the under cabinet LEDs on, the interior is plenty bright enough to do anything and the color is pleasant. I tended to use the puck lights longer than the ceiling florescent lights and will make a point of using them now that they are LEDs. These should make it easy to run on batteries for a long time. I will probably replace the fluorescents but that will take a little more study to figure out what I need to do that.
|Hole needs cover|
|Flashing with nuts taped|
|Plate covers hole. New Switch cover on right|
|Old plain white cover|
|New decorative cover|
|New decorative cover|
The hole over the side door was a little wider than the holes to attach the plate. The plate just covered the hole. To have something to screw the plate into, I cut a little piece of aluminum flashing I had laying around, drilled holes for the plate and taped nuts to the back so the plate screws had something to hold onto. I then inserted the flashing piece behind the vinyl wall covering which held it ok.
I used my label maker to make a label for the 3 position switch that selects the electric water heater or the microwave and applied it to the new cover.
Today, I use wet 600 grit sandpaper to smooth the two coats of polyurethane varnish on my desk and table I'm building. That smoothed it out nicely. Two more coats went on. Tomorrow, I'll do two more coats on the other side of the pieces and then it should be ready to install.