|Xantrex Prowatt SW Inverter in Electrical Cavity|
And look at that open space! A place to hide something.
The old remote panel located over the side door was confusing because it had a bunch of charging switches and lights that didn't actually do anything. All it ever really did was turn the inverter on and off. I noticed the panel had a second set of markings on the back. I suspect when the dealer replaced the inverter before I took possession last year, that they had reversed the panel. I still need to get a cover for the hole it left. I don't want to leave something nonfunctional up there. I also wrapped up the cable that fed the old inverter as it is not a match for the new converter remote, cable tied it and tucked it into the cavity. There was also a power cord jack in there that I did the same thing to. I labeled both to identify them for what they were for and "abandoned." That way in the future, anyone who finds them will have a clue.
I wanted to wait until the end of the electrical installations to do the inverter because they are so sensitive. The new inverter is much thinner and lighter than the old one was. I also did not want to mount it on the floor. They warn about water spills. In a moving van, a water spill on the floor is inevitable. To prevent any potential disasters, I wanted to lift the new inverter off the floor. There's a small shelf they built above the inverter cavity but it is thin particle board. I could mount the inverter upside down on it but I had visions of the screws wiggling out and eventually the inverter might crash down. Not a pretty thought. So a rack would do the trick.
|Stand pieces ready to assemble|
|Rear of Inverter|
|Inverter Power Cables|
|Rear of Remote hole in |
|Remote hole cut|
Final installation: Set the rack in the cavity. I had measured and partially screwed in 2 screws to slide the inverter bracket into one side before. Maneuvering the inverter with the wires proved to be a bit challenging but I found it worked if located towards the converter because of the plumbing vent pipe slant. I marked the location for the screws in the aluminum feet, pulled it out, drilled, put it back in and secured the rack to the floor. Then the inverter onto the rack, slide into the side screwed, attached a screw to the front foot on the other side, tightened down the other side screws and the inverter is secured to the rack and solid.
Plug in the outlet plug into the GFCI, and insert the remote cable and the inverter was ready. I folded and cable tied the excess remote cable to get it out of the way and tidied. When I connected the battery negative cables, I got some spark as the instructions said. The inverter worked, the remote worked, and the outlet worked.
I reattached the cabinet door with the vent in it. There was a white metal screen that had covered the old opening for the inverter. I elected to not install that. It reduces the air flow to the inverter and really isn't necessary since the door has a vent installed into it. Also, there is hidden storage underneath the inverter stand that would be nice to have easy access to - Bonus!
My installation checklist is here.