Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. -- Carl Sandburg
There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- goddammit, you've got to be kind. -- Kurt Vonnegut

January 3, 2013

Passport

I got a surprise in the mail today.  My new passport arrived.  I didn't expect it until near the end of the month.  I thought renewing my passport would be a big hassle because my last one expired a couple decades ago and it was in my married name which I haven't used in even more time.  So I thought I'd have to supply all the documentation for who I am.  All they needed was the old passport (with a much better picture than the current one - but I was a lot younger then), my birth certificate, and drivers license.  I applied in person at a post office on December 19th.  They told me it would take 5-6 weeks to arrive.  But in just a hair over 2 weeks, I have it.  Hopefully my birth certificate will come back in the next day or so.  They send it in a separate mailing for some reason.

Despite big budget cuts at the State Department, and it being right over the Christmas-New Years holidays, they processed my application with little delay.  Kudos to the State Department.  My taxes at work and very good service.

Now, I can go anywhere I please.  I won't have to avoid the Canadian border. 

update:  The State Dept returned my birth certificate along with my old passport in another week.  The birth certificate was folded in half.  The old passport had 2 holes punched in it across the computer number.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Thanks for giving us your thoughts.